Saturday, January 1, 2011

Refuting Scriptures Given Out of Context



The following is a question that was asked by a mormon:

" Luke 3:3 and Mark 1:4 teach that baptism is for the remission of sins. How can a person receive a remission of sins without baptism?"

What do these verses say? 


  • Luke 3:3 states, “And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins;”
  • And Mark 1:4 states, “John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.”

Clearly, this is speaking about John the Baptist. Now I suppose if we take these two verses, ripped so strongly out of context, and ignore the rest of the Bible, we may be able to, through sloppy hermeneutics, to come up with your purpose for this question.

But, what does Luke 3:16 say?

  • “John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”

  • And also Mark 1:8? “"I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

  • And also Matthew 3:11? “"As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

This kind of question is a perfect example for the need of understanding how to read the Bible, in context, and through proper Exegesis.  

0 comments: